Dear FOSS4G NA attendees and FOSS4G Community,
We would like to update you on progress related to our response to North Carolina's narrow-minded HB2 legislation. Please see our earlier March 24th response here.
As we shared shortly after HB2 was passed, it was too late to relocate and/or cancel the conference. We are very grateful to the good people who recognized that boycotting FOSS4G NA hurts a very inclusive conference and community. The fact you are coming means a great deal, and we do not take it for granted. Thank you!
After talking with so many people in the last few weeks, it is very clear that our LGBT attendees, including myself, do not stand alone.
Here are some of the things we have put in place to help ensure all of our attendees are safe & welcome:
- There will be 4 gender neutral restrooms. And the venue is updating their signs to clearly state they are gender neutral restrooms.
- For those interested, we will be encouraging people to make donations to the ACLU, who is suing the State of North Carolina because of HB2.
- Our code of conduct is in place, and will be enforced by staff.
- There is a map that lists trans friendly restrooms in the area. Huge thanks to Emily Waggoner for creating it!
- Our sponsors have taken a stance against HB2.
We are working on more. We will keep you all updated as we continue our discussions with the City and the State.
We hope it is clear that we are doing all we can. And we hope to see you in Raleigh for a great conference!
FOSS4G NA 2016 Producer